Monday, January 28, 2013

Day #169 - D Day Plus 3!

I would have liked to have posted this a few days ago, but I had cancelled the Internet at my rental and service was not installed at the new home right away.  So, here is the update.

First of all, I moved in on January 25, 3 days ago, and the house fits me comfortably.  The spaces all work and flow well for the size of the house.

The energy audit was conducted the day before I moved in.  There are 5 phases of rating, 1 being the worst and 5 the best.  Only houses using solar get a 5.  I was shooting for a 3 but working to get a 4, and we did.  The house is officially a Phase 4 Energy Trust of Oregon home.   Now, we will see how low the energy bills are!  One good sign is that the house is very comfortable with the geo-thermal heating set at 65.  And the air coming out of the unit is much warmer than a conventional electric heat pump.

I was not quite happy with the furniture arrangement in the living and dining areas, and Cris from Gates Furniture came and helped me with that yesterday.  In 10 minutes she had things sorted out, and things flow well now.

There are still things to be done.  The landscapers are working hard to finish, and I will probably find things that need a small tweak here and there.  And I am buried in boxes!  I did get the living/dining areas, kitchen and master bedroom emptied of boxes, and that was an accomplishment!  The next room to tackle is the office!

And I must say that I am glad I chose Valerian Homes as the contractor.  I don't think any other builder could have done better.  And there was not one second of pain or heartburn though the whole building process.  From start to finish it took 166 days.

This is not the end of this blog, but there will be a "time out" until the landscaping is all in and the grass has sprouted.  So, check back in 2 or 3 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment