Thursday, March 7, 2013

Energy Trust Rating

The Energy Trust of Oregon sent me their rating on the house.  They rate the average monthly energy consumption at $76/month.  Given my first bills were in the winter months, and energy consumption will drop markedly in the Spring/Summer/Fall, I think this rating is very achievable. They list the annual energy savings at $913 when compared to a conventional house built to current code.  This is a 34% reduction in energy use.  The carbon footprint is estimated to be 34% less than a conventional house as well.  While I do not know the total additional cost of the energy efficiency built into the house as much of my additional cost was in upgrades to appliances and finishes such as flooring, cabinets, bathroom fixtures and shower, etc, based on an annual energy savings of $913, I would guess the payback to be somewhere around 10 or 12 years.  Again, I am more than pleased with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment